Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Bent Drums

Yesterday was a drag. One of those all day, nothing to do, kids taking a test but I gotta be here anyway. Plus I had an awkward conversation about my plans here. I was given a contract for the club that I'll be helping out with and they had me working on it past my contract end date. I asked them why they did that and they said they thought I was staying another year. I might have said I probably would, but that was two months ago and I never signed anything, so when I told my coworker that I didn't know and tried to explain my reasons (tried) it was a little awkward. So yesterday was awkward and I skipped out on the school dinner with all the other teachers to go home and chill out. I listened to a little This American Life and crashed early.
Today's better. When there's something to do, it's better. I taught three classes this morning and now I just have to wait it out a few hours before I can go home. I still feel a little tension in the air. I just feel sometimes like I'm not being told about things... but that's a drawback of not knowing the language everyone's speaking.

One of the funniest thing my students do is call each other out and I like to counter them when I get a chance. Some are mean about it and just go on and on. Like there's a girl who is kind of overweight and a loudmouthed boy will point to her and say "Oprah" or a boy's skin is a little darker so a boy will point to him and say "Obama". Usually the boys are more mean spirited about it than the girls who will just say things like "dull girl" pointing at their friends. At the end of one of my classes today a boy started pointing to all the other boys and saying "Japanese" "Chinese" "Indonesian" So I pointed to him and said "Philippines" and got a laugh. Anyway, it's usually all in fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment